Élder Cody Crabb

Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints June 2011-June 2013

Thursday, November 1, 2012

10/22/12 - Imminent Wedding, Newlyweds, and President Mud‏

Aaaaayyyyy!
 
As for this week, that couple I told you about has been progressing like crazy! They're getting ready to get married. They don't have a ton of money, so it's likely that they won't have a party or anything, just sign some papers. It's going to be awesome....maybe I'll get to be a witness! As soon as they get married, they can be baptized. I'm so excited for them. Honestly, Jesus has rescued his life from the pits of death. He was this close to death several times, for different reasons. But I know he's still here for a reason--THIS reason!

A couple of weeks ago, we were hitchhiking on the way back from El Fuerte, and this 23-ish-year-old guy named Eduardo gave us a ride. He said that he lived in Alaska for about two years (climate shock, right?), and every once in a while he would be coming back from getting groceries or something, FREEZING cold, and two young guys in shirts and ties would come give him a ride. He was so thankful for that, but they never said what church they were from (whoops). We explained who we are and why we're here in Mexico, and he invited us to his house.

We looked EVERYWHERE for his house, which is in Poblado 7, but we couldn't find it anywhere. He gave us his number too, but I had written it down wrong (whoops again) so we couldn't get a hold of him. Then, one day we were walking down the street, and I heard (in English, mind you): "Hey, Crabb! How ya doin?" It was him! He invited us in, and we met his wife, Diana. It didn't take me long to realize they were newlyweds. There were new dishes, about 30 pictures of them together on the walls, and one of the pictures was them making a big heart with their arms on the beach (oh brother), But I ran with it, and they are so in love. We talked about the Plan of Salvation and how families can be eternal. That greatly interested Diana, but she said "What's the difference between baptism in the Catholic church and your church?

Here we go...

That's a dangerous question, but a very critical one. If you answer badly, they will get offended and not want to hear more. But them asking shows their interest, so you have to ask. Basically, from there we explained about Joseph Smith and the Restoration. We gave them each a Book of Mormon and they committed to read it and to pray about it (together, of course).

It makes me really grateful sometimes that we're not a "lukewarm" church. I've said this before, but we're either completely true or hopelessly confused. How wonderful! It makes it so much easier that way! Like I say to investigators-- 2 plus 2 is "about 4". Haha....does that even make sense? Why would religion be any different?

I know that this work is SO important. I thank you for your prayers. Hey, you guys can be missionaries too--go to the temple!

Love you all!

Elder Crabb

PS. I'm going to make a special request. I'm going to ask every person that reads this that they can kneel and say a prayer to help us find the people that God has prepared for us. We need it!
 
 

Fotos!
My companion made a little mud figurine of "a mission president". He called him "President Mud" ("Presidente Lodo").

My poor, poor shoes. It rained a LOT this week.

Are their sunsets like this in the United States?!

No comments: