Élder Cody Crabb

Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints June 2011-June 2013

Friday, November 2, 2012

10/29/12 - Don't like change? Go on a misson--you'll get over it!

First, a couple of things....

a) my shoes are fine (for now). We'll see how long they last! Luckily we have a hose in the back of our house so I just sprayed them off the best I could and used a rag to wipe them down. I'd be lying if I said it didn't take me forever...

b) Congratulations, McAlisters!! Holy cow, another niece! Where did you find the name Piper? I have to admit, I think that name is totally awesome. "Sounds like 'viper'...." I'm so glad to hear that everything went well.

c) Despite the subject line, I'm not going anywhere just yet. Transfers are next Monday, and seeing as I've been here in El Carrizo for 6 months, I'm probably getting out of here.

d) as for my "Christmas box", I have but two requests. Both food. Remember those soft peppermint candies that we became addicts to? I want some of those! And some Wint-o-Green mints too! (I wouldn't complain if you threw in some caramels and fudge too!) Basically, all I want is food. =) I love you guys.

Okay, so "Dia de los Muertos" (day of the dead) is this week, on Thursday. It's not what everyone thinks it is! I used to think it was like Mexican Halloween, but it's completely different. Basically, it's like Memorial Day, but a whole lot cooler. There's lots of great traditions and good food, and everyone's at home and has the day off....but unfortunately, that also translates to a lot of alcohol and partying.

To offset that, we as a branch are going to go to the cemetary together on Thursday, and do some contacting! I'm literally going to preach to a crowd, something that I have always wanted to do! We're going to talk to lots of people and get lots of missionary references.

This should be fun though. Everyone says "Do you guys go hide in your houses on Halloween in America?" .....What? Everyone thinks it's super dangerous and satanic and whatever, but what I tell them is that all Halloween really is is a bunch of kids dressed as Spider-Man asking for candy. But they DO make us go to our apartments early on Halloween just in case there's any weirdness.

I mentioned that I have been having a few disagreements with my companion. This week, I decided that if he thought his ideas were so much better than mine, we could just see! So I told him that HE had to plan and decide where to go and what to do. He was all about that, seeing as he complained about every plan I had! So we started this week at full blast. I have to admit, we did some great stuff. We visited a whole ton on inactive families (there are more than 90 here in my area...) and looked for some new investigators. After three days, however, Elder Lazaro started to get frustrated because he had nothing to plan. I told him that he had to stick it out....so he did. By the end of the week he was begging me to plan and take the lead, that he wouldn't complain.

Too bad I waited until the very last week to do this!

Basically, it solved all our problems. Hooray!

Also this week, I had the opportunity to do a baptismal interview with a kid from Constancia (Alejandro, the kid in the picture), which is in my district. He was really cool, and after the interview he asked if I could baptize him! I was totally flattered but I had to go to my area. There was no way to do it. I told him thanks so much but that I couldn't....oh well. But he got baptized. Rosales, the other area in my district, is going to baptize NINE PEOPLE this week! I have to do nine interviews on the same day! I'm not complaining, I love doing interviews, but I've never even done two in a row haha. So that'll be an adventure.

I have even LESS time than usual! It's a miracle I wrote this much. But I know the church is true, and that families are forever, and all that stuff! I'll be more inspiring next week. =)

Keep the Faith!

Elder Crabb
 
 

No comments: