Élder Cody Crabb

Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints June 2011-June 2013

Monday, March 26, 2012

3/26/12 SCORPIONS?

I don´t know if I´ve mentioned it already, but I get to go shopping at Wal Mart and Sam´s Club in this area. It´s a little bit like stepping into the twilight zone. Everything´s just like home there (well not completely, but it´s still really close). This last week I bought two boxes of FRUITY PEBBLES! Let´s just say I thought they were "yabba-dabba-delicious". I also bought a Beatles calendar to accompany me for the whole year. It even has a mini calendar for 2013 in the back, so I´m pretty sure it´ll accompany me for the remainder of my mission.

Oh yeah, and last night, Elder Guillen was in the shower when he suddenly went, "Ah!". We asked him what was up, and he said, "I just got stung by a scorpion!" I sort of freaked out, because, how poisonous are they!? We went to the doctor this morning just to check, and they told him something to the effect of "rub some dirt in it". He´s totally fine, but now, I don´t want to shower anymore....

This week, at mutual, we invited a bunch of young guys to the church to play soccer. (anybody who knows me who is reading this thinks they know how this story ends.) In Mexico, there are still basketball courts in almost all of the chapels (outside), but they know that Mexico loves her some good ol´ futbol! So they have goals on either end too, so people can play soccer. Anyway, we wanted to play soccer, but we couldn´t, because nobody had a soccer ball. But, we had a basketball on hand. "Hey," I thought. "My skills in just about any sport are just about equal. So yeah, let´s play basketball." Well, it turns out that the guys we were playing with were not that great. However, despite my "handicaps" I wasn´t doing too bad. But then....it happened. I started making shots. One. Two. Four. Half court! My team destroyed the other team! By the end of the game, the other people on the sidelines were chanting "Ko-be! Ko-be! Ko-be!" Pretty much that was the athletic highlight of my life. In the next game, I was bad again. Just saying.

Elder Running and I were working in his area one day when we knocked on a house that was actually pretty big. A lady came outside looking at us really strangely. We kind of gave her the usual "who we are and what we do" thing. Then, slowly, as we were talking, she reached into her pocket and pulled out her phone. She took a picture of us! We were like "....What are you doing?" She told us "My friends will never believe me if I tell them that such attractive men knocked on my door."

Umm.......

Then she proceeded to show us that she posted it on her Facebook wall with the caption: "With missionaries like this I think I´m going to change religions.... c:"

Umm.... You´d think we´d just give up there, right? Well, not me! Even creepy moms with three kids need the gospel! So we ended up teaching her! She was a lot more interested than I expected, truthfully. Elder Running and Elder Martinez are going back with her-- more news on that when it comes.

Basically, I´m just always happy right now. I don´t even remember the last time I wasn´t happy! I got a letter from my dear cousin Greg the other day, and he said something that I want to share with you: "A lot of missionaries want time to go by really fast so they can go home. Others want it to go slower. Me? I´m happy right where I am." That pretty much sums it up for me. I love my area. I love Mexicans and Mexican food and Mexico! Thanks for everything, bye!
 
Love, Elder
 
 
Elder Hon, with a chick....and a puppy. Too much adorable. (These pictures are from all of my time in Culiacan, by the way. Elder Hon isn´t my companion anymore.)
 
 
 
Our house. I sleep on the bunk with the brown towel on it. The top bunk on the right. Yes, mom, it IS dirty...
 
 "Whoopsie kitchen."
 
We literally were lost here haha. Elder Guillen decided left.....correctly.
 
A bumpy picture of a Mexican bus! Note the picture of Jesus behind the driver, the Virgen de Guadalupe hanging from his mirror, and the really REALLY pointy brown shoes of that Mexican man.
 
A ward activity about the Relief Society anniversary. Pretty cool! She did a monologue about charity.
 
A copyright-infringing Mexican slot machine! Yep, they´re TOTALLY legal, and anyone can play, even little kids. I won´t say I play, but it´s only one peso.... Most of them are rigged anyway!
 
A real live scorpion! It was in the church!
 
My proudest non-girly moment ever. I, Elder Crabb, have had a scorpion on my shirt WITHOUT screaming like a girl.! Hazzah! Love you guys!
 
(There was no caption for this photo...but a lovely looking fish with Elder Guillen)
 

No comments: