Élder Cody Crabb

Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints June 2011-June 2013

Friday, March 16, 2012

03/05/12 "Injured by a Burrito"

I´m sure you´re wondering about the title of my email. Here we go....
My companion, Elder Guillen, really likes to eat. He always prepares a really good breakfast. The other morning, he had made bean burritos with sausage. "How lovely!", I thought. So I took a spoonful of beans, slapped them on a tortilla, and took a big bite. Now, I don´t know how it works in America, but you gotta be careful with the beans in Mexico. Occasionally, they contain rocks. Yep. ROCKS. So, to prepare them well, you go through all of them and pick the beans. NOT THE ROCKS. Little did I know that Elder Guillen had not been too careful with the beans. I took a big ol´ bite, and CRUNCH!! My front tooth bit down on a rock as big as a pea. It hurt like the Dickens! (do you capitalize that? I´m assuming it´s talking about Charles Dickens.) But not until later did I realize that it had indeed chipped my tooth. It´s not too noticeable, actually, not noticeable at all. It chipped the very corner of my bottom front middle tooth. I´m pretty much just going to deal with it, seeing as dentists in the United States are bad enough, and some guy who sterilizes his tools with a pocket lighter (True story, although it´s not my story.) kinda freaks me out. Really though, don´t worry (, Mom,) it´s just a little chip. You can´t even tell unless I say "Hey, look at my tooth, it got chipped by a burrito." Mostly just a funny story. =)
Also, this week, I learned about how awesome it is to be companions with the assistants. They REALLY know what they´re doing, so it´s cool to watch them teach and teach with them. I also work with Elder Hon a lot. Probably about fifty percent of the time. I really like him too. Elder Tingey, my trainer, is in my zone! It´s fun to see him again and to catch up.
Just so you know, our investigators LOVE my pictures. They love seeing what americans do in real life. They always say "Look, everyone´s so WHITE!" It´s pretty funny.
Also, I´d like to share a cool story with you guys. On our street, we were getting ready to go to the house, when we heard a kid cry. We went to go see what was wrong for whatever reason, and we found a kid that had fallen and hurt his ankle (later we found out he had actually broken it). We carried him into his house, and his mom was all worried, but we gave him some ice and he calmed down, so she did too. We ended up contacting her and made an appointment to come back. Her name is Lexzaida, and her kid´s name is Royer. We came back, and we had an amazing two hour lesson! We taught everyone (Lexzaida, Royer, and two of Royer´s friends) about what happens in the church on Sundays, when one of the kids asked a question. I answered it, but then I realized that Elder Guillen and I had split off! He was teaching the mom, and I was teaching the kids. They asked me a question about what happens after we die, and I basically taught them the whole Plan of Salvation while Elder Guillen talked to the mom about the same thing. Then we sort of both came together into a sweet lesson about the Restoration! It was amazing, and they agreed to be baptized! We have various people who are going to get baptized this month, it´s going to be awesome.
Everything is going great. The mission president´s wife sent us a paper literally telling us what food we can buy. What a "blessing". Although usually I eat pretty well to begin with. Yogurt and cereal and eggs.
Sorry about the lack of pictures! I´ll try to send more. I keep forgetting to charge my camera. I love you guys!
Elder

No comments: