Élder Cody Crabb

Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints June 2011-June 2013

Monday, February 11, 2013

2-11-13. Soo chee and hammocks

The thing I love about being a missionary is that I never think "Man, what
am I gonna write?" as much as "Man, how can I possibly write about all of
this in one email?!"

Anyway, this week has been so weird, in so many ways, but just SO good.
Basically, a lot of the people we're teaching right now are kind of
bi-polar. Not *literally*, but one minute they're really excited to hear
from us and the next minute they're running us out of their house. What?

Right now some people are just REALLY confusing. There's one family that
went to church and told us they hated it. When we went back to ask why,
they wouldn't tell us.....but they went to church the next Sunday! What??
Good thing we have the Spirit to help us out, because we have several
people right now who are doing similar things.

We have a couple that are progressing really well. There's a guy named
Fransisco who's read around 50 pages in the Book of Mormon, he's been to
church a couple times, but he hasn't been praying. We can tell he's
interested but he's a really busy person. There's also Alex, a 17 year old
kid who went to church when he was younger. He's SO excited to do
everything! He's a really fun person to teach because he's really smart so
usually he arrives at conclusions before we teach anything ("So if there
was an apostasy, God would have to call another prophet!")

Those are mostly the people that were already being taught when I got here.
The newer people we've found have been really good. There's one guy, Simòn,
who's really excited but because of his work he hasn't been able to go to
church. There are lots (my companion just asked me how to spell "schpiel".
I have no idea, was that right?) of obstacles ALWAYS for people, not just
him, but he would have a hard time getting to church.

There's another really cool group of teenagers that Elder Huntington and I
went and talked to. One day we were just going to contact a reference when
kind of a "punky-looking" group of teenagers looked at us and waved us
over. I was kind of wondering what was going to happen when they asked us
who we were and what we did. We explained that we're missionaries and we
help people who want to learn about God. It was kind of funny because we
could tell that they were all really interested although they didn't want
to show it. They asked a couple of questions about life after death and we
put an appointment with them. I hope that turns out well!

Elder Huntington and I are starting to realize how frustrating it is to
give people agency. I don't know if it's bad to say that, but it's SO true.
Basically, when we say "Hey, here's the key to your salvation!" and they
understand why you need to read and pray, and they don't do it. What? Why
not? It's so irritating at times. They know exactly what they should do and
why they should do it and everything. I've been praying to understand that
better. Maybe they just don't really believe it. Like, maybe the concepts
of God or life after death or things like that just don't hit them. I just
want to force people to do these things because I KNOW they'll be happier
and better off! Just do it! Sigh....I definitely understand the concept of
"agency" a lot better. And how much God must love us anyway because we sure
mess up a lot!

Here's a picture of P-day fun. (They say sushi like "soo chee", it's so
funny) I love Mexico!

Have an awesome week. Read the scriptures!

Elder Crabb


No comments: