Sad news. The other week, I was here in the cyber cafè, when I went to reach for my MP3 player and it was GONE! The owner said she saw a little kid over where I was and he probably stole it. Aw.
I liked this week for some reasons. Some no (such as the above). I will explain.
First of all, we met an AWESOME family, the family Manzanarez. They are amazing. Their daughter is 13, and the parents said they couldn't read the Book of Mormon assignment that we left because she wouldn't stop reading it! She read like five or six chapters in one night. When we came back they were super interested. They told us "Whenever people from other churches come to our house, we always lie and say we're busy or things like that. But not you guys. You guys are different." Sweet! They have told us they really feel the Spirit when we're at their house and it's really cool to see.
This week marks one year out of the US. I left for Mexico on August 1, 2011, and here we are, more than a year later. But I will say, it's just as hot! =) Some things never change. I love Mexico. I don't know if I'm going to remember how to eat without a tortilla. And the states of our mission are very costal, so we eat a lot of seafood too, which is the BEST. I've had octopus, squid, turtle, swordfish....you name it. It's delicious. I really have developed a good taste for beans too. I'd wager to say that six out of seven days of the week I eat beans.
The sad part of this week was that the father of the Relief Society President passed away. He was old, but it was really unexpected. He fell and hit his head, and never woke up. He lived right in front of us. We've stopped by every single day to give some comfort to his wife. They wanted me to give a lesson about life after death, which was kind of a delicate situation, since the majority of everyone there was Catholic. I just shared some scriptures about the Ressurection from the Bible, and bore my testimony that right now he can jump and run and be free as a spirit (he was really shaky and weak at the end there). A lot of people were crying and it was a really spiritual experience for everyone. One woman told us "It doesn't feel like that in my church!" so she wants to come visit us in ours. Awesome. It's tough on her, because she's always very busy. We're going to help her however we can.
This Sunday, we did a fast with Orlando. Remember him? He's the really smart one that wants to be a missionary. He says he believes it's all true, but he doesn't feel ready to get baptized yet. There are lots of churches going around that teach that you have to know the Bible really well to get baptized, and if you don't have knowledge you'll be condemned. Well, to a certain point, yes. You need to know that the stuff that you're reading and learning is true, and that's about it, honestly. So we fasted with him so that he could get a stronger response to his prayers. He's excited to know more, he's just been taught a lot that if you don't have the Bible memorized, you can't do anything. Grr.
It wasn't too eventful this week, but things are brewing. I gave some names to the district presidency to be the branch president and his counselors. Hopefully we'll be able to get them in here, so the missionaries can focus 100% on missionary work. I'm loving everything still. Transfers are next week! I bet I'll stay here....but only time will tell! Love you!
Elder
No comments:
Post a Comment