First things first. I'm still in Carrizo! I'm going to be here at least six more weeks. And my companion is....Elder Osorio! Yay! We both stayed the same this time, which will be good. I'm going to be the district leader over six missionaries (I've never done that before!) one of which just finished his time as an assistant. All of us are branch presidents! The other two are whitewashing their areas--both of the missionaries there are new to the area. Haha....the ones who just got put as branch presidents will have NO idea what they're doing. I'm going to have to teach them how to do stuff on the computer and stuff. Other than that, I've had some crazy experiences this week, I'll share some. The Spirit has really been with us.
We were just walking on the sidewalk one day (I was behind Elder Osorio) when he just STOPPED. It was so sudden I ran into him! Just when I was about to say "What was that all about?" a big old black truck (of death) came from around the corner (REALLY fast) without stopping. Right where we would have been walking. If Elder Osorio hadn't stopped we both would probably be in the hospital right now, or worse! He told me later that he felt like someone put their hand on his chest to stop him. What an amazing testimony that we're being protected out here.
The other day, we were at Selene's house teaching, when she said she didn't want to come to church because she feels like it's "too soon". Like it's too big of a step. She said she would need to know that it's true first, and besides, she couldn't come on Sunday anyway because she had to work at 8 (our meeting starts at 10). Her cousin Andrea said that she would go if it wasn't so hot, and there would have to be clouds. I smiled as I realized this would be a fantastic opportunity for them to see God's power. I said "You two really don't think that God has the power to make it cloudy, or make it so you can come to church?" They looked at us blankly, like "Well....yeah." I then promised them that if they prayed that it would be cloudy and that she could get out of work, it would happen. At the end of the lesson, Selene prayed for both of those things. That night and every day until Sunday I was praying a LOT for that. Clouds aren't very common for August here (it's just HOT). When we woke up on Sunday morning, we went outside to a beautifully cloudy day. I was super excited! We did splits with the members to go pick up our investigators, and Elder Osorio went to pick up Selene. When I got to the church, Selene wasn't there. I then found out that when they had gone to her house, her aunt came to the door and said "Oh, Selene and Andrea are asleep. Selene went back to sleep after they called her and told her she didn't have to come into work until 1." GAH!! BOTH prayers were answered, but they didn't have the faith to just get up and go even though they were tired. It was too perfect--Selene could have gone to all three hours of church! It's just frustrating sometimes. Even if someone gets such a huge answer to their prayers, they don't follow it!
In less important news, last week my district and I went to this cool astronomy exhibit in the mall in Los Mochis (the mall's called "Liverpool"). It's like a big inflatable igloo, and you just go inside and lay down on the ground and watch a big 3D movie about space. When we went we were the only four people in there, so we took some pictures and video and stuff like that. I don't have the pictures because I filled up my SD card! (one with 4 GB) so I needed to put in a new one. But it was super cool. And I learned the names of the planets in Spanish!
There's a kid here named Erick who really likes the guitar. Him and his friend are learning a song called "Hanuman" by Rodrigo y Gabriela. Oh my word, if you haven't heard it, you (who aren't bound by mission rules) should go look it up. He showed us a little bit that he's learned and he is amazing.
Right now we're just looking for some new investigators. We've been leaving a lot of people because they don't come to church, so we're left with basically nothing right now. We are finding a couple of new people, but not many. One of them is a woman who is very involved in her religion but is extremely curious about the Book of Mormon. She thought it was written by the Mormons as like a "Bible study guide", so when we told her about what it really was she was absolutely captivated. She told us she would read. The next time we went back to her house she opened up to us about some stuff that has happened with her husband and she says she almost doesn't feel safe where she's living. She said that last week she had an overwhelming feeling (impression?) that she should stay where she is. Also last week, some lady she knows said "I feel like God's going to solve all your problems really soon here." And that same week we found her. Coincidence? I don't think so. Maybe that's why she's opened up to us so much (she made us quesadillas!)
Anyway, there's not much news this week. But here's the last fourteen months in a nutshell:
nut I love being a missionary! shell
It's the best experience ever. I have learned so much. If you have not recieved a letter from me, and you would like to, shoot me an email with your address! I hope you're all doing well!
Animo!
Elder Cangrejito (what a little girl calls me here)
No comments:
Post a Comment