Of COURSE it would happen this week, but my pants are starting to fail. I ripped a big ol´ hole in one of them, the other ones are starting to get little holes where my hands rub against them while walking (unbelievable, right?) and my suit pants are now a completely different color. Right now, I have three pairs of pants, and all of them have some sort of defect haha. My backpack has some holes, and my shoes are getting pretty worn out! Everyone has told me that when you hit a year, everything fails, which I can definitely see happening.
I´m pretty sure you can imagine what kind of stuff happens in an apartment of four guys that have never lived on their own before. I struggle with the game of "garbage bag Jenga" that we play every week. Basically, it´s played like this: you put garbage in the garbage bag until it all comes falling down, and that person has to take out the garbage. As you can imagine, it gets pretty ridiculous. I was going to take a picture of our most ridiculous, but it fell before I had a chance to take a picture!
I´ve been pretty good about writing in my journal, although we´re just gonna say that "pretty good" in this case means "once or twice a week". I´m trying to write more often, it´s just pretty difficult in this area. Let´s just say, at the end of two years it´ll be updated.
In other news, my ukulele totally got shut down! I was so sad when I heard that. But my companion-slash-assistant-to-the-president told me it´s because they´ve had to send a bunch of missionaries home recently for various reasons (like seven or eight!) and they don´t want anything that could possibly be a distraction. "Raising the bar" as it were. Sigh....I woulda been fine.... But I am, however, enjoying very much the music that you´ve sent me, =) Thanks!
Oh yeah, and Elder Octavio Tenorio of the Seventy is going to come visit our mission this week. On Friday, we´re going to have a conference with him and his wife. I have never heard him speak, but from what everyone tells me, he gets right down to the "needy-greedy". (I don´t know if you´ve ever seen him before. He´s the guy with big ol´ glasses.) I´m pretty excited. I´ll try to get a picture! =)
This week, Elder Ramirez and I taught a family of four, which was pretty cool to start out with, but even more cool was, by the end of the lesson, there were TWELVE people listening to us! The biggest miracle of this week, however, was Rosibel. She´s the friend of a member, and they´re both pretty young, she only has 15 years (I´m going to leave that last sentence in here so you can laugh at my Spanish grammar.). But basically, she was just at church one week, where I met her, so on Monday we went to her friend´s house to teach a lesson to her, where we watched "The Restoration" (you know, that twenty-minute movie about Joseph Smith). The family was a little bit distracted, but Rosibel was GLUED to the screen. She was totally captivated. During the First Vision part, she cried. I asked her how she felt, and she said "Amazing. What is this feeling?" We explained that it was the Holy Ghost. We left after a powerful lesson about the Restoration. The amazing part is what happened next. Four days later, I was with Elder Peterson in his area, pretty darn far from anything in my area, when I get a phone call. It was the friend of Rosibel, Jasbeth. She said, "Hey, Rosibel just told me she wants to get baptized. What do we need to do?" I was kind of shocked, I´ll admit it. But I just said "Don´t move, we´re going to come right now!" When we got there, we taught a really neat lesson (one of the most powerful of my whole mission) about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She´s going to get baptized this Friday! I´m so excited! Honestly, she is one of the most spiritual teenagers I´ve ever met. She says that she feels like our church is true!
Funny side note: There´s an elder in our mission named "Elder Cervera". He ordered a new name tag. When it got to the mission offices, we couldn´t believe it. It said "Elder Cerveza"! ("Cerveza" means "beer"!) We were laughing pretty hard about that. But even better, an elder in my zone, Elder Robles, lost his name tag one day on the bus. He was panicking, because in our mission, you do NOT walk around with your name tag off. Elder Ramirez said, "Well, I do have one solution....you can be Elder Cerveza temporarily until you get your new tag. It´s the only extra." I was absolutely dying laughing. Reluctantly, he agreed!
I hope everything is going well back home! The weather is sure starting to heat up. It scares me, I´ll make some comment about the heat and an old lady will say "Oh, you have no idea. In the summer, you´re going to want to die!" Yikes. Take care, and I want to apologize to those who have written me who I have not written back to. Sorry! Such is life when you´re a missionary! But rest assured that I´m doing my best to try and write.
Nos vemos pronto,
Elder Crabb
Wonder if I´m getting along with my companion? Check out our "shaving cream fight" picture.....Elder Ramirez is a psycho! (in a good way.)
Also, this is our gang sign for "Amistad A", our area (too bad Elder Ramirez isn´t one for photos. And yes, he wears "jammies", something we make fun of him for quite often.)
No comments:
Post a Comment