Élder Cody Crabb

Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints June 2011-June 2013

Friday, May 11, 2012

05-07-12 Cinco de Mayo?

Pretty much everybody has been asking me what it´s like down here in Mexico for Cinco de Mayo. Well, I´m here to tell you that.....it´s the same as the United States. Maybe worse, because I´m LIVING IN MEXICO, and I didn´t even hear one word about it. Funny, huh? However, 5 de Mayo was a pretty special day for us over here. That was the day that Rosibel got baptized! She is definitely my coolest convert in the mission. She believes everything so much! The coolest part was, this Sunday, her THIRD Sunday ever in church, she got up and bore her testimony! I was really surprised, because she´s not too outgoing or anything. But she said "My friend Jasbel told me this was all true....why didn´t I believe it before?". Even better, she said "Everyone said it would feel good to get baptized, but not HOW good!" I was so happy. =) Really, I could care less that I´m the one baptizing her, I´m just so glad to see someone just GET IT.
It was an awesome process. Her friend Jasbel taught her pretty much everything, honestly, we just answered questions and reinforced her teaching. It´s really an incredible experience to see someone go from 100% nonmember to 100% member. Honestly, I´m just about as excited as you can be right now. But I didn´t even tell you guys what happened during that day.
 
We were going to the church to fill the font (I literally had to ask Elder Peterson how to say "font" in English) on Saturday morning. Everything seemed fine. But when we turned on the water....nothing came out. Needless to say, we were a little bit panicky, we had a baptism that night. We weren´t sure what to do, and we tried everything to get it to work. I was at the point of just finding some buckets when I finally said, "We need to put this in the Lord´s hands."

Okay. Time out.
 
Remember how I said that Elder Octavio Tenorio of the Seventy was going to come and talk to us? Well, he did, and it was AWESOME. He talked about "specific prayers". Like, for example, instead of "Please bless that I can find my backpack", it´s "I´m going to stand outside on the road with a sign that says "Lost backpack" for an hour, and the person that has it will recognize me and give it back to me, and the person that has it will not have stolen anything." He talked about how we believe those prayers can be answered, so why don´t we pray like that?
 
Alright. Time in.
 
I was thinking about what Elder Tenorio said. So I prayed that we could have our baptism. I prayed that within an hour someone could come help us figure out what was wrong. That we could get the water fixed. And that we could do it soon, because we had an appointment. After the prayer, I got up to go and see what else we could do, when I realized there were two guys in the church. I said, "Can I help you?" "No," he said. "We´re with the maintenence of the church, we´re here to clean the air conditioners." I said "....you wouldn´t happen to know anything about how we could get the water turned on.......would´ja?"

He said yes.

In the long run, they didn´t up fixing the problem. But they gave me an idea to fill it (run a hose from the other side of the church that WAS working to the font). I filled it the whole way like that. But how awesome, right? We had our baptism. Someone came to help us. We did everything in like a half hour. I was ready to let it slide that the water still didn´t work, when the faucet for the font (that hadn´t worked just hours before) suddenly worked. Little did I know that ANOTHER maintenence guy was going to come check the building´s water that day, to check if it had problems.
 
GOD´S PLAN IS PERFECT!!!
 
I love you all, and I miss you. Talk to you next week!!!
 
Elder Crabb

No comments: