Élder Cody Crabb

Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints June 2011-June 2013

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

4/09/12 Happy Easter!

I found a Mexicanified ukulele, so....I bought it! I can finally play songs at baptismal services! It´s going to be easy to transport, because I can just carry it. I won´t have to move very often.

YAY! We finally ended up baptizing Lexzaida on Saturday! I was the one who she chose to do it, but it was such a cool experience! She is really really strong with her testimony (and how great that she lives on our street!) We confirmed her on Sunday and it was just very special (even though she totally biffed it coming into the church.....she´s fine though.)

I told you that transfers were this week, remember? Elder Guillen (my companion and now former assistant to the president) is going to a little ranch WAY north of here names Rosales. (No, not "Rowzales"). I´m staying in this area for another transfer, which I´m glad about. So is everybody else in my district. But the curveball the Lord threw me this time is that I´m also going to be a district leader! Under normal circumstances, I wouldn´t be too nervous, but my district just happens to contain the assistants to the president. So I gotta step it up! I´m really excited to have this opportunity though. A little bit more responsibility, but hey. I have begun to discover that God just really likes to do the "Let´s see how they handle it." thing. Like, whenever he calls people he just throws them in the water instead of teaching them how to swim first. I like that. =)
This week, we probably had the coolest experience of my entire mission so far. We were visiting an investigator when we happened to talk to another guy in the street. He was a big ol´ guy with a really husky voice. He said his name was Amado. We said we were going to go visit him later. So cool, we took his address down and left. When we showed up at his house, we just talked to the girl that was in front, sweeping. All we said was like, "Hey, how are you?" and she dropped her broom and just looked at us all wide-eyed. We asked her what happened, and she told us that literally less than five minutes before, she had prayed that somebody could come help her. Her name is Carolina. (car-o-leena =) )She said she feels really frustrated with her life. Her dad´s an alcoholic. She has a 9-year-old autistic son that can´t even talk. Her mom doesn´t seem to care what she does. And she said that it´s hard for her to even get out of bed in the morning sometimes, and that she felt like she had no purpose. We asked her if she would like to know her purpose, and she started crying. "More than anything," she said. So we taught her the Restoration. She was wide-eyed and totally amazed when we told her the First Vision. She just believed everything super fast, because we had come as an answer to her prayer. She accepted to be baptized in the first lesson. Then, yesterday, Elder Running and I had a bunch of fallen plans, so we weren´t sure what to do, when we realized that this lady was right in front of where we were. Even though our appointment wasn´t until Tuesday, we thought we´d swing by and say hi. We knocked on the door, and she just looked at us in amazement. She said that she had prayed again, and that here we were. She told us that she had read in 1 Nephi chapter 1, where Lehi has that dream, and that she had had that same dream before. We were both pretty amazed, obviously. But she said that she was completely blown away when she read about the clouds, the angels, the twelve, and the Person who descended, because it was exactly the same. Can you believe this lady?! During this same lesson, she expressed to us that she had felt really sick and depressed, and that she felt like she was drowning in her own house. I felt impressed to offer her a blessing. So, we did. While I was giving it, I felt impressed to say "Carolina, your Father in Heaven wants you to know that he loves you, and that it´s never too late to repent.". She just sobbed after that. Later she said that it was exactly that that she was needing to hear. The church is so true. It´s just unbelievably true. I´m so grateful that I was born into this church, and that I didn´t have to go looking. I love you all. See ya later!

Elder Crabb
{Here are some pictures that Cody never sent explanations for...does anyone want to write some captions?}




No comments: