Élder Cody Crabb

Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints June 2011-June 2013

Thursday, October 4, 2012

10-1-12 ¡Lazaro, ven fuera!


This week has sure been a doozy! This was the first week of my new companion, Elder Lazaro. First off, before you read any further, I want you all to look at the photo I've attached of the desks.

Guess which one is Elder Crabb's desk? You guessed it! Elder Lazaro is a great guy, but BOY are we sure different. We're pretty much opposite in everything. He's had some problems here in the mission with attitude things and all that, but he says he's ready to put all that aside and start over. I'm all for that.

Well, since I'm in the same area, my investigators didn't change yet. We didn't find many new people at all this week, but I owe that to "It's my first week here" syndrome, trying to get settled in (not MY first week....this week was my 19th week here....). We've been working hard, but something is missing. I'm trying to pinpoint exactly what it is...

One highlight of this week happened today on the way to Los Mochis on the bus. Remember Orlando? He's the guy from Poblado 7 that almost got baptized. He knows it's true, but he didn't do it, then he got a job that made him work on Sundays...anyway. Today on the bus, I recognized his brother, Fernando, when he got on. Orlando always told me he was a "science" guy, that he believed in God but he didn't like religions, and that he would never talk to us. I realized that this could be a really cool opportunity to talk to him. I said a quick prayer that God would give me the chance to talk to him. He looked for a seat, walked past several empty seats and sat down right next to me. I said "Hey, you're Orlando's brother, right?" He said yes and we started talking. We talked about various things, but the gist of the conversation was "I don't like listening to missionaries because everyone says the same thing: 'We have the truth, listen to us!'" Excitedly realizing this opportunity, I said, "A real answer would have to come from God, right?" He paused and said "Well....yeah." I explained to him that all we do is invite people to learn the doctrine and ask God if it's true (John 7:17). He was kind of surprised, and he threw that surprise right back at me by saying "I'm gonna give your religion a chance, and just one chance." He said he'll read the Book of Mormon, go to church, and take the missionary lessons. WHOA! That totally came out of nowhere, but awesome!

("that I am very engry because for my mission,I am luser and I dont working".....I stepped away from my computer for a second and Elder Hernandez wrote that...haha) 
 {-side note this made me LAUGH SO HARD!!  I am a LUSER!! haha Good for your Elder Hernandez!}

Also, Elder Lazaro got sick this week, so for one day and a half we were in the house with nothing to do. It was a really good time for self-reflection, so I prayed for direction and started reading the Book of Mormon.I opened up to Ether 12:27. I suddenly felt like, "Whoa! I need to ask got what my weaknesses are!" So that's what I did. I kneeled down and asked him what I need to get better on. This was Tuesday. Wednesday morning was when I found out that Elder Lazaro and I are polar opposites. Wednesday afternoon was when President Cantu's wife called me about his attitude problem. It was pretty obvious to me that God put everything how he put it just so I could learn my weakness.....which seems to be "putting my foot down". Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm kind of a layed back kind of guy. In situations where a lot of people would get frustrated and lose their temper, I just....don't. The thing that I need to work on is saying NO, or doing something that is contrary to the will of my companion. I haven't been like that before, but it's obvious to me that I have to be like that now.

This week was district conference in El Fuerte. That basically means that instead of being in El Carrizo we had to rent a bus to get us all there together. After a big old ordeal we finally got it all worked out. It was a fantastic conference. President Cantu and his wife spoke, the district president and a couple of others. NOW, we're getting ready for GENERAL CONFERENCE this week!! Man, I never thought I would be so excited to see general conference. I feel like a little kid at Christmas. One more week until conference! Six more days! Honestly, I know it sounds funny, but who else in the WORLD has a chance like this? Every six months we can hear exactly what God wants us to do in those six months. Frankly, that's awesome! We have a few people that are really excited to see the conference, like Lupita, Ismael, and a few others.

I LOVE MY MISSION.....I think that says it all. The church is true. Watch general conference. You Utahns don't realize how lucky you have it! If you don't have Internet here you have to drive to a stake center, which is more than an hour and a half away! Remember to watch it especially because you can watch it in your jammies in the comfort of your own living room.

Bye!
Elder Crabb

No comments: