This letter really touched me, what an amazing experience...
Dear Friends and Family,
As a missionary, I spend most of my time (alright, all of my time) teaching/studying/helping people. Basically just working hard all around. Some people ask me why I'm here; I tell them that it's because I really know this message can help people (which is true). But weekends like this make it worth it.
I baptized a girl named Sarahi on Saturday! She's nine years old and her parents were slightly inactive, we found and taught them, now they're all active and happy! She chose me to baptize her. I was super honored to do it, and it was no problem. But then....she wanted me to confirm her. I got super nervous, for a couple of reasons. 1: I've never given a blessing in Spanish before. 2: In Spanish, when you're giving a blessing, you speak in "tu" instead of "usted" (basically meaning you're showing closeness to that person). As missionaries we talk exclusively in "usted," to show respect to everyone. That means I have literally almost zero practice speaking in "tu" let alone having the spirit dictate a blessing. This Sunday, I was really anxious all through the meeting. Finally, the bishopric announced that Sarahi would be confirmed, I got up and walked up to the stand, silently praying for a "gift of tongues" moment. (you know: "I didn't even know the words that I was saying...") I slowly put my hands on her head, and I started giving the blessing. It came out a little choppy. I stumbled over a couple of conjugations and had to pause a couple of times. But I did it! It was such an awesome experience, because no, I didn't speak perfectly, but the spirit was able to work though me to help give that blessing. Now, I understand a little better what a "tender mercy" is. I didn't get big congratulations or anything for giving the blessing. But Heavenly Father heard the prayer of a nervous missionary who is still working on his Spanish.
I am loving Mexico more and more the more time I spend here, and I'm grateful that Heavenly Father cares!
New fruit of the week: a "tuna." No, it's not a fish, You know those weird fruit things on the outside of cactuses sometimes? (No? google it!) You can eat it! ...and it's good! Basically honeydew with seeds!
I miss you all, Thanks for your prayers, I can feel them!
Adelante- Elder Crabb
-----------------------------------------------------
Also another note, Cody added this glimpse into his life in the email along with the pictures of the letter!
Today, I ate an apple on behalf of Steve Jobs.
Love,
Elder Crabb
He's also a little strange...but in a good/funny way!
No comments:
Post a Comment